Serving : 4 pax (picture is all doubled. I cooked for 8)
INGREDIENTS – REMPAH (To be blended into paste)
4 pcs Lemongrass
15gm Gelangal (blue ginger) – to remove skin and cut into 1 inch
5gm Ginger – to remove skin and cut into 1 inch
15gm Tumeric (kunyit) – to remove skin and cut into 1 inch
10 pcs Red onion
3 pips Garlic
8pcs Red chili (remove seeds and cut into 1 inch)
8pcs Dried chili (soak in hot water and remove seeds. Cut into 1 inch)
20gm Dried shrimp
20gm Shrimp (paste belacan)
1tsp salt (to taste)
2tsp sugar (to taste)
INGREDIENTS – CHICKEN BROTH
500gm Chicken bones
1 tbs Chicken stock powder (optional)
INGREDIENTS – PRAWN BROTH
400 gm Prawn shell
2 stalk Daun Kesum
200ml Fresh Coconut Milk
10 pcs Tau Fu puffs ( tau fu pok) – add more if you like
10 pcs Fish balls (add more if you like)
Daun kasum – finely chop for garnishing
Cucumber – julienned for garnishing (there is a special method nyonya uses but I have yet to learn it)
Mee Hoon or Mee (yellow noodles)
Hard boiled eggs
INGREDIENTS – SAMBAL BELACAN
4 Dried chili
4 Red chili
4 Chili padi (birds eye chili)
METHOD – Broth
1. Place chicken bones in 3L of water to simmer for at least 1 hour. Skim residue on the top leaving a clear broth.
2. In another pot, heat a little oil and fry prawn shells. Add in 1.5L and daun kasum and simmer for at least 1 hour.
PREPARATION METHODS – Rempah
1. Soak dried chili in hot water for 10 minutes, remove seeds and cut into 1 inch.
2. Blend dried shrimps until fine and set aside.
3. In a hot pan, add some oil and fry blended dried shrimp to release its flavour. Remove and set aside.
4. Pan fry shrimp paste to release its flavours. This is to be added into the blender with other rempah ingredients.
5. Roughly chop all rempah ingredients : dried chili, red chili, galangal, lemongrass, onion, garlic, ginger, tumeric and candlenut. Put into the blender and blend until it becomes a paste. Add a few spoons of water or oil to ease blending process. Add in fried belacan and blend until it all turns into a paste.
6. In the same pan, add 4 to 5 tbsp of vegetable oil and add in the blended rempah and the fried dried shrimp and fry (tumis) until fragrant. The paste will start to absorb all the oil then later once its about cooked, it will start releasing oil. Thats when you know it is cooked.
7.Stir rempah constantly to avoid it from burning. This process will take at least 30minutes to 45 minutes. Once it turns dark red and it releases the oils, add in sieved chicken broth and sieved prawn broth.
8. Constantly stir the rempah broth and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
9. Add in coconut milk, salt and sugar to taste.
10. Cut taufu pok in halves and soak in hot water to remove oil. Squeeze out the excess water and add it into the rempah broth. Add in fish balls.
11. Leave it to simmer for another 15 minutes.
METHOD – Condiments and noodles
1.Soak mee hoon for 10 minutes.
2. Just before serving, in a pot of boiling water, blanch noodles (mee hoon or yellow noodles) until it is done (cooked through yet not soggy).
3.Finely chop daun kasum and set a side.
4. Julienned cucumber and set aside.
5. Prepare the Sambal Belacan and set aside (will link the recipie).
6. Boil hard boiled eggs, remove shell, cut into 2 and set aside.
7. Blanced prawns in rempah broth or you could just add in the prawns into the broth.
To serve, place blanched noodles into a bowl. Fill the bowl with broth with some prawns, fishballs and taufu pok. Place all condiments on top and serve with sambal belacan.
One Comment Add yours