Time : 1 hour
Serving size : 6 to 8 pax
12 to 16 slices toasted white bread, removed side and buttered using the 50gms unsalted butter.
50g unsalted butter
8 egg yolks
175 gms sugar
1 vanilla pod or 1 tbs vanilla essence
300 ml milk
300 ml double cream
1 oz Sultanas / 25g raisins
2 tbsp brown sugar to finish
1. Grease baking dish with butter.
2. Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar.
3. Simmer milk + cream with vanilla pod, split and remove seeds (or 1 tbs vanilla essence).
4. Gently pour simmered milk+cream mixture a little at a time into egg yolk mixture whisking it all the time (so that egg yolk mixture does not scramble). Leave it aside.
5. Butter each bread (sides cut) and arrange them in layers.
6. Sprinkle raisins in between layers. Avoid putting raisins on the top layer as it may burn.
7. Pour egg + cream mixture over bread and let it soak for 20 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 180c
9. Put dish in rotating tray with 3/4 flicked with hot water and place into oven to bake. Bake for 20 -30 mins.
10. Remove water bath, sprinkle caster sugar to cover the top and glaze it on grill over medium heat.
Bread and butter pudding is best eaten hot with ice cream or vanilla sauce. Below is a recipe for the vanilla sauce.
1 cup milk
1 vanilla pod (1 tbs vanilla essence)
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup Sugar
1. Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar.
2. Simmer milk + cream with vanilla pod, split and remove seeds.
3. Sieve (large holes) onto egg yolk mixture stirring it all the time.
4. Pour back into pan and simmer until thicker in texture.
5. Let it cool. Serve with bread and butter pudding.