INGREDIENTS (Makes 1.6kg cake)
1 box (375gms) Mixed fruits (wash with hot water, dry and soak overnight in brandy)
4 oz XO Brandy (To soak the mixed fruits)
9 oz (250gms) Unsalted butter
9 oz (250gms) Dark muscovado sugar (dark muscovado gives it the colour)
5 Eggs (grade B)
9 oz (250gms) Plain flour
1/2 tsp Mixed spice
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 tbsp Brandy
- Wash mixed fruits in hot water. Drain well. Dry and soak overnight (or several days) in brandy. (Before use, coat it with flour so that it doesn’t sink down when baking)
- Use electric beater, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time. Beat till fluffy.
- Add sifted flour + mixed spices
- Add in vanilla essence + brandy.
- Add mixed fruits and mix well.
- Pour in 8″ square tin (greased and lined the bottom of the tins only)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180oC for 20mins*.
- Cover cake with aluminum foil and bake at a lower temperature of 160oC for another 25 – 30 mins.
- Then reduce temperature to 140oC for another 25 – 30 mins.
- Leave to cool. Once cool, you can serve.
- Option: To keep fruitcake, you can wrap it in the aluminum foil and feed it with more brandy on a weekly basis. It can be kept for a month or so.
*temperature may vary from oven to oven. Because my oven’s coil is very hot, I bake mine at 150oC – 125oC and 100oC.