6 large red onion
110gm brown sugar
120ml Tarragon Red Wine vinegar (use normal red wine vinegar is also fine)
60ml Balsamic vinegar
1tbs Olive oil
1tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Ground pepper
- Slice onion into thin slices.
- In a pot with lid, melt butter and oil.
- Add all the sliced onion and mix well to ensure the bottom of the pot does not burn.
- Add salt & pepper and mix well for another 5 minutes before lowering the fire and lid the pot.
- Leave it to simmer for a total of 30 minutes stirring occasionally to ensure the onions do not burn at the bottom of the pot.
- Once the onion is soft and has darkened, add in sugar a d mix well. Then, add the red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar.
- Leave the lid open and increase the fire to medium and stir occasionally.
- Once the onions caramelized to a dark consistency and the liquid has reduced, switch off the fire and leave it to cool.
- Chutney can be kept for several weeks in the fridge. You can have it hot or cold.